*NEW* PLACE VALUE 49 50 51 52 (old PV20FD11 & PV21FD12) 10THS, 100THS, MULTIPLICATIVE, STANDARD AND NON-STANDARD
PLACE VALUE 49 50 51 52 – TENTHS & HUNDREDTHS (OLD PV20F11 & PV21F12)
NB: ALL RESOURCES ALSO ARE ON OUR NEW SITE AND ARE MUCH MORE EASILY ACCESSED! TRY NOW!
Once students can describe additive place value of two- and three-digit numbers flexibly, there is no new learning in additive Place Value. Students are continually building on this understanding to higher and more complex numbers, including whole numbers with more digits, decimals and fractions, which students begin to investigate multiplicatively.
Multiplicative place value starts with whole numbers, as students demonstrate and explain that we are multiplying and dividing by 10 to get the values of the places to the right and left.
After students have demonstrated and explained multiplicative relationships between fractions, they apply this understanding to divide 1 by 10 to get a tenth. They apply their understanding that fractions are named by their relationship to 1, to divide a tenth by 10 to get a hundredth of 1.
Explicitly teaching and investigating multiplicative place value with metric measurement makes decimals visible.
It makes sense to teach fractions, then fractions in place value, then fractions in metric measurement, because fractions have been around for more than 3000 years, place value for about 1500 years, decimals for about 300 years, and the metric system for about 300 years – and they are all based on the same conceptual understanding!
- COMPLETE TEACHING RESOURCES
- TEACHING RESOURCE PV 49 MULTIPLICATIVE 10THS
- TEACHING RESOURCE PV 50 ADDITIVE 10THS
- TEACHING RESOURCE PV 51 MULTIPLICATIVE 10OTHS
- TEACHING RESOURCE PV 52 ADDITIVE 100THS
- Powerpoint PV49 Multiplicative 10ths
- Powerpoint PV50 Additive10ths
- Powerpoint PV51 Multiplicative 100ths
- Powerpoint PV52 Additive 100ths
- Problem Solving PV49 Additive 10ths
- Problem Solving PV50 Multiplicative 10ths
- Problem Solving PV51 Multiplicative 100ths
- Problem Solving PV52 Additive 100ths
- VIDEO: HISTORY OF PLACE VALUE
- VIDEO: PV49 TENTHS
- VIDEO: PV 49 DECIMAL POINT
- VIDEO: PV49 ZERO ONES
- VIDEO: PV49 MULTIPLY BY 10 - 10THS
- VIDEO: PV49 DIVIDE BY 10 - 10THS
- VIDEO: PV50 PLACE VALUES AS 10THS
- VIDEO: PV50 PLACE VALUE 10THS - 1 ONE
- VIDEO: PV50 PLACE VALUE 10THS - 2 ONES
- VIDEO: PV50 PLACE VALUE 10THS - 3-DIGIT
- VIDEO: PV51 100THS BY DIVIDING 10TH BY 10
- VIDEO: PV51 MULTIPLY BY 10 TO 10OTHS
- VIDEO: PV51 DIVIDE BY 10 TO 10OTHS
- VIDEO: PV52 PLACE VALUES AS 10THS
- VIDEO: PV52 PLACE VALUE 100THS - 1 10TH
- VIDEO: PV52 PLACE VALUE 100THS - 2 10THS
- VIDEO: PV52 PLACE VALUE 100THS - 3-DIGIT